Family Medicine Residency Program Curriculum
2 Block Maternal Child Health
1 Block Pediatric Inpatient Service
1 Block ICU
1 Block Cardiology
1 Block Psychiatry
1 Block Surgery
1 Block Nursery
1 Block Elective
1 Block Practice Management
3 Weeks Vacation (Outpatient)
1 Block Pediatrics (Outpatient)
1 Block Maternal Child Health
1 Block Night Float
1 Block Pediatric EM
1 Block Pulmonary
1 Block Practice Management/Research
1 Block Community Medicine
1 Block Outpatient GYN
1 Block Sports Medicine
1 Block Geriatrics
2 Blocks Electives
3 Weeks Vacation
1 Block Pediatric Urgent Care
1 Block Hematology/Oncology
1 Block Ophthalmology/Urology
1 Block PM & R/ Practice Management
1 Block Dermatology
1 Block Orthopedics
1 Block Thundermist Continuity
2 Blocks Elective
3 Weeks Vacation
Facilities and Affiliations
Thundermist of West Warwick is an innovative, non-profit, and federally-qualified community health center providing primary and preventative health care services. Services include:
- Wellness visits and preventative care for all ages
- Chronic disease management
- Maternal child health including obstetrics
- School-based health centers
- Social services and community health teams
- Behavioral health counseling
- Gender confirming therapy including behavioral and medical treatment
- Medication assisted treatment for addiction
The health center also offers an array of wellness activities, such as a community garden, diabetic and lifestyle change group visits, and a farmers market. Thundermist's mission is to improve the health of our patients and communities by delivering exceptional health care, removing barriers to that care, and promoting healthy lifestyles. Clients with and without health insurance are provided high quality health care in a patient-centered medical home model. The agency, which in 2017 served more than 45,000 patients and has two other sites, is a Level 3 Patient Centered Medical Home, the highest level of accreditation from the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA).
The Thundermist continuity clinic experience is the central focus of the Kent family medicine residency training. Rotations in medical/surgical specialties are done in the hospital and the outpatient setting. Please see the program curriculum for further details.
The program also offers specialization in maternal child health and osteopathic manipulative medicine. Other Kent Hospital family medicine residency affiliations include:
- Butler Hospital, Providence, RI.
- Hasbro Children's Hospital, Providence, RI
- Naval Health Clinic of New England, Newport, RI.
- Woman & Infant's Hospital, Providence, RI.
For more detailed program information, visit the Brown Family Medicine Residency Program.
The didactic program for the family medicine residency takes place every Thursday afternoon from 12 noon - 5 p.m.. The time is protected from other resident duties in the hospital and attendance is mandatory unless on certain critical and/or offsite rotations or on vacation.
Didactic day generally consists of:
- Lectures on various topics in FM by core faculty and residents
- Procedure workshops
- Board review and evidence-based medicine review
- Guest lectures from outside specialties
- OMM lecture & lab twice per month
- Monthly Balint and support group sessions
- Residents also attend and present during noon medicine conferences on Mondays and Wednesdays in the hospital depending on their rotations
Residents spend one half day a week in the first year, three half days in the second year, and four half days in the third year of training.
Maternal Child Health Curriculum
Our Maternal Child Health Curriculum consists of an unopposed OB experience paired with newborn nursery care for our Thundermist Health Center babies. Deliveries take place at Kent Hospital, a community hospital that delivers about 800 infants per year. As a resident on the Maternal Child Health rotation, you will provide family centered maternity care to a diverse group of patients and families from our health center as well as work with private practice OB/GYNs to obtain additional obstetrical experience. The knowledge and skills gained on this service enables you to provide excellent maternity care with a family centered focus while preparing you for a variety of future practice settings.